Sunday, September 5, 2010

Peach Chutney

I went to New York to visit my family last month and as usual, I was inspired by my sister Deb. Its not that I want to do just what she does, but I always feel a little inadequate in terms of cooking,canning, gardening, sewing etc. She's got the whole home cooking with fresh grown produce down to a science.

I decided to try a peach chutney recipe for my first foray at canning in a long time. I do remember canning with my mother as a teenager. She always made the same types of canned goods; tomato sauce with peppers and onions, grape juice from our grapes, applesauce from our apples and occasionally some pickles. My favorite type of pickle to make was something Mom called winter salad, although I can't seem to find anything under that name on Google. The closest thing I could find was a hot dog relish that has turmeric in it, which makes it bright yellow.

Anyway, today peach chutney was on my radar. First of all because Deb made some while we were in NY. and second of all, because I love anything that has fruit in it. The process of making the chutney was not difficult until I stated working with the hot peppers. I knew Serrano peppers would burn my skin if I didn't handle them carefully, so I did what I could to avoid touching them with anything, but the knife.  Then came the problem. I couldn't get the seeds out without handling the peppers. I thought I didn't handle them much with my fingers and it seemed to be going well, but after I finished, my hands felt like they were on fire.

One hour later, my hands are still burning and the chutney is in jars in the canning kettle.  Like Sarah says, at least I tried. Hopefully when I finally  get to eat some chutney, it will all have been worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment